Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What the hell is a Pacu Fish?

First, I am a bit of a hypochondriac. Case in point, Great Floridian Triathlon, a few years ago, I almost worked myself up so much over the brain eating amoeba, that I couldn't race....it was borderline pathetic I realize.

Second, a pacu fish sits right next door to the piranha on the fish family tree. In recent years this funny lookin' fella has become a popular domestic pet. While this omnivore's incisors are not nearly as razor sharp as it's carnivorous cousin, they are still quite concerning. I have also learned that all too often pacu pet owners flush or dump these fish in lakes when they outgrow their tanks; and that the pacu fish can grow to 60 lbs in the wild - frightening!

So where is this going??

Well, third, a fisherman just caught one of these babies in Lake Woodlands, TX on May 5th...and where is the swim for Ironman Texas...you guessed it...Lake Woodlands, TX.

Gulp.

A special thanks to "the friend" who shared this information.

3 comments:

Troy Rushmore said...

Oh Mike!! This is funny and yet, NOT! Just remember "safety in numbers"... you will be fine. I think. ;)

Rebecca Rushmore said...

Remember "Safety in numbers"!!! Swim in the middle of the pack or "school" or whatever they call all of you as you swim together.

Unknown said...

Mike, ryan otto here...there are sharks in tampa bay by the pier where I do the st anthonys swim and have for the past 4 years. Once you show up at the race, you'll forget all about this ugly lil fukkr and do what you need to do.